Clean, Lube, and Align
When people play an instrument after I've cleaned it, they always remark that it's much more responsive, and plays with a lot less effort.
Cleaning the inside of the instrument allows the sound waves to vibrate with much more efficiency. Along with making your instrument last longer and retain its value, professional cleaning makes the instrument play with less effort - and you sound better!
Full Service Cleaning Includes:
- Disassembly of entire instrument
- Ultrasonic cleaning
- Clean, scrub, and polish inside of instrument
- Bright silver dip application to remove any tarnish from silver instruments
- Piston instruments reassembled with new felts & corks with special attention to valve realignment
- Rotary instruments reassembled with new bumpers & strings with special attention to valve realignment
- Water key corks and springs as needed (included with cleaning)
- All silver (and raw brass) instruments are hand-polished as a final step
- Valves oiled and slides greased
- All instruments given a final play-test
Additional work at shop rate of $80/hour (plus parts if required):
- Dent removal
- Soldering of broken braces
- Replacing broken or worn parts
Replacement valve guides and valve springs are not included and will be replaced as needed for an extra cost.
|INSTRUMENT||Full Service Cleaning|
|Trumpet / Cornet (including Piccolo)||$90 ($110 for Silver)|
|Standard Trombone Slide||$80|
|Professional Trombone Slide||$120
If it is necessary to disassemble
the slide tubes in order to perform realignment,
add $60 to $80.
|Trombone Bell (w/F attachment)||$80|
|Bass Trombone Bell (w/2 valves)||$95|
|French Horn (single)||$110|
|French Horn (double)||$130 ($185 for unlacquered)|
|Baritone/Alto Horn (3 piston)||$110 ($150 for Silver)|
|Baritone/Euphonium Horn (4 piston)||$110 ($160 for Silver)|
|Compensating Euphonium||$120 ($170 for Silver)|
|Tuba (3 piston)||$110 ($170 for Silver)|
|Tuba (4 piston)||$120 ($240 for Silver)|
|Compensating Tuba||$120 ($240 for Silver)|
|Tuba (4 rotor)||$160 ($240 for Silver)|
|Tuba (4 piston / 1 rotor)||$185 ($260 for Silver)|
|Tuba (5 rotor)||$185 ($260 for Silver)|
|Tuba (6 rotor)||$195 ($260 for Silver)|
|Sousaphone||$120 ($190 for Silver)|
Cleaning Before and After
Dana began his career as a brass repair technician in 1991 as an apprentice with Wayne Tanabe at the Brass Bow in Chicago. After 20 years of full-time employment as a brass repair technician in the Chicagoland area, Dana opened his own successful repair shop serving professionals, amateurs, educators and students.
Dana has presented clinics demonstrating brass repair at three national conventions and many regional NAPBIRT events.
He also had an active career as a freelance tubist in the Chicago area. He was the tubist for the brass quintet of the Air Force Band of the Midwest, and the Cathedral Brass Quintet.